Interview & Interrogation
Gathering and evaluating information are primary skills for investigators who rely on several highly regarded techniques and systems for producing accurate and reliable information. This training program, designed for investigators, supervisors, and commanders of an investigative unit, combines the best of these systems and presents them in a comprehensive and logical manner.
PSYCHOLOGY OF INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS
Professionals have long since recognized that effective law enforcement interviews and interrogations must rely upon the psychology of interpersonal relationships to be successful. Experts in the both the psychology field and in law enforcement recognize the value in building rapport for effective communication. Interview and interrogation experts know that rapport is a special bond between the investigator and the subject that is often enhanced by verbal and non-verbal cues and messages.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
As a result of his wide-ranging and extensive training and experience, Lieutenant Mark Riordan (retired) knows that the absolute very best criminal investigator is the person who learns and hones their skills in interview and interrogation. Though that statement is easily said, Mark Riordan understands that the fine tuning of interview and interrogation skills is a career-long learning event interspersed with updated training to reinforce the basics and to practice advanced techniques.
LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS WHO NEED THIS TRAINING
This training program is especially relevant to street-level officers and street-level criminal investigators. Mark Riordan also believes that this training is necessary for first-line supervisors and all other law enforcement agency officials who have contact with the public.
3-DAY, 24-HOUR ADVANCED INTERVIEW AND INTERROGATION TRAINING
In this 3-day program you will gain the knowledge gleaned from thousands of witness and victim interviews and thousands of criminal suspect interviews as well as the current research on law enforcement interviewing and interrogating. You will also gain valuable insight from research of countless books, manuals, training videos, laws, legal opinions, and the expertise of dozens of like professionals. Students will receive an extensive manual containing relevant notes and research. In this advanced version, students will actually conduct numerous interviews on each other to observe, learn and reinforce the various lessons and teaching points instructed.
DYNAMIC, INTENSE AND RELEVANT
Upon completing this 3-day, 24-hour, block of training, you will be able to:
- understand the mechanics and techniques of effective interviewing and interrogating
- understand the necessary preparation for a successful interrogation
- watch, listen, feel, smell, taste, and trust your gut feeling
- recognize the physical factors that decrease a subject's mental and physical efficiency
- build upon your knowledge of the incident and ask "the question"
- identify interviewing techniques and select the appropriate strategy
- structure effective questions for the interview designed to elicit the facts
- avoid common interrogation pitfalls
- re-direct the questioning, to control the interview or interrogation
- detect methods for verbal and non-verbal deception
- obtain and keep the attention of the person being interviewed
- record and document your results
- present interview and interrogation evidence in court
- understand the basics of statement analysis
- understand the basics of cognitive interviewing
- interview and interrogate persons with personality disorders
- use command presence effectively
- discuss the legal aspects of interviewing and interrogation, the Laws of Evidence and recent court decisions
- understand the dynamics of false confessions
- counteract common arguments of defense experts
- comprehend and demonstrate learned traits of questioning, interviewing and interrogating
- understand the dynamics of gender, age, cultural and socioeconomic origin
- understand the significance of facial micro-expressions and how our face often reveals our emotions
- understand false memory syndrome
- discuss the psychological and physiological aspects of confabulation
- know when to utilize other interview and interrogation tools such as forensic hypnosis and the polygraph
Corporate clients (and law enforcement) will also learn how to:
- conduct your interviews and interrogation sessions legally and ethically
- act professionally at all times during your interview and interrogation sessions, in other words you will learn the art of "civilian command presence."